Download Shannon's story, "Beautiful Boy, Brandon Lee," in its full length, excerpted from her book, Smash, Crash & Burn.

I See You’ve Managed To Get Your Nudes Out Again!

Today’s post is about Hubris: excessive pride. Posting nude photos from 20 years ago got me on the cover page of the Women section on The Huffington Post. Who knew all I needed to do was get naked? (Unfortunately they also put up the photo of Henry and I looking a wee bit like plump river rats at Lake Havasu.)

I’ve been thrilled to read the comments on the Post. Most people seem to understand the message which is Love Your Body Now, because when you look back 20 years hence you’ll wish it was still yours. I remind myself when I nitpick my appearance that in 20 years, when I’m 66, I’ll love the body I currently reside in. And the beat goes on.

All of this to say, due to my excessive pride, I’m posting a few more nudes. I’m chasing you down the street screaming, “Drop everything and look at my nudes! It’s all about me me meeeeeeeee!”

I will spare you any photos with nipples and, as my gay friend Jose calls it, “the boosh.”

Quick flashback to Jose viewing my nudes 20 years ago, “Hahny, what ees going on with that boosh? That boosh wheel feex the hole in the ozone layer. That boosh can replace all the oxeegen from the chop down trees in the Amazone. Can’t you treem eet? No one can get anywhere weethout a machete with that boosh!”

So here I am, for the last time (what do you mean you don’t believe me?), minus the boosh:

I'm Naked Again!

1. Desiree Eaglin
    Desiree Eaglin 30 January, 2012, 12:06

The “boosh” wheel feex the hole in the ozone layer…SO funny!

2. Christina Simon
    Christina Simon 30 January, 2012, 12:32

Fantastic piece! I love that you’re giving yourself until 2013 to conquer your “deadly” sins!

3. laura filipowicz
    laura filipowicz 30 January, 2012, 12:46

Wow. yup I would like to be 22 again – fit at 97lbs. I am 40 and when I am 60 I will want this body I am in too. Totally with you in that one…

4. Shelby Barone
    Shelby Barone 30 January, 2012, 13:25

This is going to empower so many women!

Shannon Author 30 January, 2012, 13:53

I hope so. (Or perhaps I’m just an exhibitionist ala Drew Barrymore on Letterman’s desk)

5. Elsie
    Elsie 30 January, 2012, 13:26

LOVE. I never every looked like you did, but I am trying to take your advice to heart. It’s funny, so that I’m all post-baby bodied, I love my body, rolls and all. Yet when I weighed 100 lbs, I hated it. If only I could go back and appreciate myself then…

6. Sharlene
    Sharlene 30 January, 2012, 19:32

If I had pictures like that I would put them on my walls, boosh and all.

7. Melissa
    Melissa 30 January, 2012, 22:52

Shannon,
    I loved your first article with it’s extremely important message- and I laughed out loud at the same time! Love the follow up!

8. Catalina
    Catalina 31 January, 2012, 00:35

If only we could choose to look the age we wanted for the rest of our lives…

9. Vanessa
    Vanessa 31 January, 2012, 00:57

If only I had the courage to pose nude.

Shannon Author 31 January, 2012, 08:40

It’s funny you say that because it was really nerve-wracking. The poor photographer. I walked into the studio with my robe on and dropped it before I could change my mind. He hadn’t loaded the film into the camera yet and told me later he was working as fast as he could because he knew I was about to bolt. My heart was pounding the whole time. But when I finally saw the photos I realized I’d been focusing on one body part at a time instead of taking in the whole picture. Seeing myself whole. It was profound.

10. Caryn B
    Caryn B 31 January, 2012, 06:09

You are a brave woman! LOL Congrats for being on the Huff Post! And if I had pics like that I’d be showing them to the world : ) Gorgeous!

Shannon Author 31 January, 2012, 08:42

Thank you Caryn! I’m using them as greeting cards now. Just kidding. Sort of.

11. Betsy(in Ireland)
    Betsy(in Ireland) 31 January, 2012, 06:19

Just discovered your blog thanks to HuffPost. You are hilarious. Reminds me why I miss my American girlfriends so much. You are channeling them!

Shannon Author 31 January, 2012, 08:43

So glad you found me. I want to come to Ireland and have some of their creamed celeriac.

12. Betsy(in Ireland)
    Betsy(in Ireland) 31 January, 2012, 09:34

You’re more likely to find creamed celeriac in England. Although they did make it for the Queen when she visited last May. And I’m sure your visit will be met with equal enthusiasm.

13. Danny Dix
    Danny Dix 18 February, 2012, 09:26

In regards to any small helpings of fa…erm…protien retention I’ve added to my person over the years, I’ve justified by thinking of it as a cunningly contrived protective layer designed to cover my underlying spectacularly perfect body so that it doesn’t get scratched.

Shannon Author 18 February, 2012, 13:01

I feel the same way myself. It’s always good to have some protective padding out there in the harsh world. Gotta keep that subcutaneous perfection safe.