Are Big Breasts Tastier than Intellectual Breasts?

10524877_10203996403847831_275326332_n

My lovely guest poster (is that a word?) today, Carol Cassara has strong opinions about the value of plastic surgery.

Although I could very well have been one of those unfortunates with plastic surgery gone wrong, I love my results.

Yet I still agree with so much Carol says. She writes:

“These beautiful petit fours are a small work of art, aren’t they? Just gorgeous. Fondant helps make any confection a work of art.

But, it doesn’t taste so good.

In fact, as much as I like the way petit fours look, I think they taste awful.
And I wonder how many people think these things are delicious just because they’re lovely.

There’s a greater meaning here, and you can see it in what’s happening to the world around us, a world in which cosmetic enhancement is so valued.
How many times have we heard this justification for cosmetic surgery:

‘If it makes you feel better about yourself, I think it’s fine.’

What makes me crazy is the idea that our view of ourselves–our self-esteem– is dependent upon how we look and not who we are.
If it takes bigger breasts to make a woman feel better about herself, I despair for the future.

How often do we hear of women enhancing their self-esteem by taking a history course? Learning a language? Or taking woodworking?

Not often. These days, it’s all about how we look and not who we are.

It’s about what’s on the surface, not what’s inside. Kind of like a petit four.

Now, I like a great-looking man with a killer body as much as any woman. But it’s been my experience that men who are overly-attached to how they look sacrifice substance. There’s nothing else there. Not always. But many times.

So it’s not just women.

The irony hasn’t escaped me, either. While the Boomer generation spent its youth fighting for equal rights of all kinds, at this stage in our life we’re consumed with superficialities. We went from having lofty ideals to…
face lifts and breast surgery.

We were going to remake the world. So: how the hell did we come to this?

I bemoan the loss of our ideals: that search for a greater purpose. The devotion to higher principles and a common cause. Activism and involvement in the world around us.

Nothing wrong with liking how things look. But when we focus on form over substance — if that gives us our sense of self-worth — then something’s gone wrong.

So, I may look at a petit four and admire it, but I won’t be taking a bite any time soon.”

Readers, will you share your plastic surgery stories? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? for people considering those options.

Carol CassaraCarol Cassara blogs daily on creating our best lives at http://www.carolcassara.com. She’s been writing professionally since she was 16-years-old and can’t seem to stop. When not at her keyboard, she and her first, ex- and now, current husband (all the same person) are traveling to exotic and interesting places. Or playing with their seven-year-old maltipoo, who refuse to believe he’s not the center of the universe.

You can find her on Twitter @ccassara and you can Follow her on Facebook.

against plastic surgeryplastic surgery

1. Risa
    Risa 10 July, 2014, 10:52

Have done it twice–happy to answer any questions. Anyone who is considering breast reduction or eyelids, I’m your gal. Good results, no regrets. I wrote about my eye surgery here: http://betterafter50.com/2013/06/the-eyes-have-it/

OK–now that’s out there!

2. A Pleasant House
    A Pleasant House 10 July, 2014, 10:57

I agree- to a larger extent. It is worrisome that our society seems to value context over content, but I have to say that when it comes to cosmetic enhancements, of any kind, ‘To each their own’. I find these decisions to be just a personal as a woman’s right to birth control, and while I admire people who feel strongly about this subject I don’t think articles like this persuade anyone who hasn’t already made-up their mind. But they do provide a forum for discussion. And I’m always happy to discuss anything with you, my dear!

3. Joy Page Manuel
    Joy Page Manuel 10 July, 2014, 13:27

Yes, it’s alarming and sad that a lot of people now pin their sense of self worth to how they look. This is why my husband and I can’t bring ourselves to watch that ‘Toddler and Tiara’ show where the little girls parade and strut like adult women. It’s scary and repulsive. It just makes me wonder how these little girls will grow up; if they’re thinking that skin-deep beauty is the end all and be all; if they, at this very young age, feel and accept themselves as objects. Looking good is great. I agree with that, don’t get me wrong. But once we start thinking that superficial beauty is substance, then we’re in deep trouble. Thanks for another thought-provoking post, Carol. And thanks for sharing this, Shannon!

Shannon Author 10 July, 2014, 18:16

Joy Page Manuel — thanks for coming by to visit. Carol’s article keeps the conversation flowing.

4. Mandi
    Mandi 10 July, 2014, 18:37

I haven’t come out on my own blog yet to say this, but I’ve had plastic surgery, and I have zero regrets. I did it because my body changed drastically after breast feeding two kids, and I just wanted to fill back up what disappeared. I love it, and I would do it again, but it’s not for everyone. It took me a really long time to get used to the “new” outer me. What is most important is that the inner me is still me. And I love her all the same.

Shannon Author 11 July, 2014, 00:04

Hi Mandi — This just isn’t an all-or-nothing-at-all call. Each woman has to do what makes her feel snappin’. When I feel snappin’ I’m such a pleasure to be around. I just feel sassy. Which I love. But then you have people like Carrot Top and you think, back away from the scalpel.

5. Jamie
    Jamie 10 July, 2014, 19:52

It said breasts…so here I am…

Wait…

Haha I love comparing tiny ones to delicious petit fours! I never thought much about the size of mine. My husband is not a boob guy. Although, I’d be pissed off if I had big boobs and didn’t marry a boob guy. I’d want them to be the center of the conversation…always… I guess I dodged that bullet! There is no conversation because there is nothing to talk about! ;-P

Shannon Author 11 July, 2014, 00:05

Jamie my sweet girl!! So nice to see you here! I think it’s safe to say that half of the world is threatened by your left boob and the other half loves it. Miss you, see you soon!

6. sdscubagrl
    sdscubagrl 3 April, 2015, 06:32

I was walking through a department store, and had to do a double-take, when I saw in the women’s lingerie section a bra called “extreme-ego-boost” bra. Why does our ego have to be tied to something we cannot control? I’ve always been extremely small chested (had a lover tell me after sex I should get a boob job). So I’m quite sensitive on the topic. Women are always over-exposing themselves, for attention I guess?

Shannon Author 3 April, 2015, 07:23

I despise the lover who said your Breasts are too small. There are phalanxes of lovers who prefer the delicate breast. I say to critical lovers, keep your hands on my body and your words off. Or walk away.