Taryn Brumfitt’s Before Photo was “Fit,” And her After Photo was “Fat:” and why we should Celebrate that

Share the love:
Buffer this pageEmail this to someoneShare on Facebook0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest2Share on Google+1Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on StumbleUpon0

Aussie mother of three, Taryn Brumfitt, found her body “disgusting.” In an effort to love her body she entered a weight-lifting beauty competition. She made her body perfect by Western standards and still felt disgusting. Thus she began The Body Image Movement.

Taryn BrumfittTaryn Brumfitt

You have got to see her story. For me it’s on a par with Dove Campaign’s Sketches and Selfies projects. Gorgeous, ballsy, raw and so powerful. Enjoy Taryn Brumfitt:

Share the love:
Sign-Up for Monthly Tips & Tales on Beauty, Body, Babies, Bye Asshats & Bodacious Sex from TWFKAB:

I promise NO SPAM or I'll eat my own weight in Malomars.

body imageTaryn Brumfitt

1. Jennifer June
    Jennifer June 22 May, 2014, 19:21

Thanks for sharing. Exactly what I needed today.

Shannon Author 22 May, 2014, 23:15

So lovely isn’t it? Especially the bit about the two women who met on the beach.

2. SISSY
    SISSY 24 May, 2014, 20:29

THANK YOU FOR SHARING. WHY DO WE THINK THAT WE ARE NEVER `GOOD ` ENOUGH ? WE NEED TO BE KINDER TO
    OURSELVES, WE ARE BEAUTIFUL !

3. The Frugal Exerciser
    The Frugal Exerciser 25 May, 2014, 05:50

Thanks for this video, I wonder how women in an impoverished country view their bodies? This would be interesting to know.

Shannon Author 25 May, 2014, 16:40

Yes it would. I suspect women from other countries may have issues getting enough nourishment.

4. Melissa
    Melissa 27 May, 2014, 07:41

This was a great post as I am shopping for a bathing suit and not feeling it! We should all feel luscious!

5. Reticula
    Reticula 7 June, 2014, 22:00

I don’t know what it would take to make me love my body. I have all the information and inspiration I need to do so, but I don’t. I didn’t love it when I was 5′ 7″ tall and weighed 115 pounds. And I don’t love it now when I’m … ummm, let’s just say a few pounds heavier and decades older.

Last fall I accidentally did a nude photo shoot in a state park in Illinois. It’s a long story, but after I’d done that, for just a few weeks, I didn’t give a shit what anybody thought about my body. It was just a body like anybody else’s. That feeling wore off eventually. Maybe I just need to get naked in public places more often?

I wish I could give up the shame, but I realize that probably won’t happen now. Deep roots.

I’m loving your blog, Shannon. :-)

Shannon Author 8 June, 2014, 09:02

Hi Reticula — I love that you “accidentally” did a nude photo shoot in public. Had a naughty demon overtaken your body?? Just so you know, I think shame over the body is experienced by an insanely high number of women. And depending on the day I’m one of them too. Then I also get annoyed with myself for wasting my time not simply loving and embracing my body. Sigh. And thanks for stopping by and letting me know you like it here. It means a lot!

6. Reticula
    Reticula 9 June, 2014, 12:57

Not a demon … more the woman I would have been if I hadn’t been so evilly indoctrinated to hate my body. On a whim, I went on a trip to Chicago with an acquaintance. I had no idea why we were going. I thought just going out of the trip was stepping out of my comfort zone. I had no idea the trip was for an art gallery closing with nude models (including my acquaintance, who became a good friend) and then a photo shoot in a state park in northern Illinois. It really is a long story, but I had an epiphany about what my daughter calls my body dysmorphia, and decided to shed my shame and my clothes for one of the photographers at 6:00 am on the edge of a sandstone ledge. I’m writing a piece that’s longer than a blog piece about the entire experience. It’s still hard to believe I did it, but the photos are proof.