71 Dresses in 71 Days: Week 3

Three weeks ago I started my No Shopping Project. I decided to wear all of my dresses before I dare buy myself one more adornment for my prestigious (“prestigious” —  inspiring respect) frame. I have 71 dresses. I am the self-declared Imelda Marcos of dresses. Although I’m not Asiatic. (“Asiatic” — Relating to or deriving from Asia: “Asiatic cholera”; “Asiatic coastal regions”)

Here is Imelda

Here is Imelda

Here are just a few of her shoes.

Here are just a few of her shoes.  Her shoes make me feel dirty.

In the three weeks since beginning this project I have stayed true to my troth (“troth” — Faith or loyalty when pledged in a solemn agreement or undertaking — I don’t know why I’m doing vocabulary in this post. Perhaps I’ve gone mad as a froth-mouthed Cujo?). I have not purchased one item for myself and I was really only tempted once when buying my daughter Bridget soccer cleats and the sports dresses tried to sing me to the shoals of their strappy shoulders. But I just shut that motherf#*ker down! (“Motherf#*ker” — sometimes abbreviated as mofomf, or mf’er — is an American vulgarism).

In the previous two weeks, with a resounding unanimity (I’m not sure that’s a word so I won’t define it. It should be a word. Perhaps it’s a “sherd.” Which is a word Shannon made up) you voted to eliminate dress #4 and dress #8 (as I’m donating a dress a week). I have donated them to Out Of The Closet which benefits the Aids Health Care Foundation.

Your task is to look at Dresses #15 through #21 and decide which one of those have to go. This is important business people. Yes I know you could be spending quality time with your children, or perhaps trying to define why it is that worms are so inherently repulsive, but you really have to get your priorities straight and FOCUS ON ME AND MY TINY WORLD!

Dress #15

Dress #15

Dress #16

Dress #16

Dress #17

Dress #17

I love this one so much because IT FITS!  Last time I tried it on I had to relocate a rib to zip it up.  My cat is barfing as I type this. Ack.

Dress #18 I love this one so much because IT FITS! Last time I tried it on I had to relocate a rib to zip it up. My cat is barfing as I type this. Ack.

Dress #19

Dress #19

Dress #20

Dress #20

Dress #21

Dress #21

21 dresses down, 50 to go. Here is an unexpected benefit from doing this project, I’m loving the clothes I ALREADY HAVE! Pulling these dresses out of the closet (some I forgot I even had) has made me realize I really can just go and shop my own closet when I need a hit of dopamine. I can pick dresses I haven’t worn in years AND FREAKING WEAR THEM!

Nuff said. I’ll be back again next week with 7 more dresses. In the meantime, here’s the updated gallery. Which one goes????

dressesshopaholic

1. amy mayer
    amy mayer 5 April, 2013, 14:27

I LOVE you! :))))

2. Deborah Stambler
    Deborah Stambler 5 April, 2013, 14:30

Oh it’s so hard to part with clothing bought on memorable travels, but you’ve got so many great dresses and #8 is the one that should go.

Keep it coming. You’re inspiring me.

3. Kathy Marris
    Kathy Marris 5 April, 2013, 14:52

I can’t believe you haven’t cracked like an egg yet! You are a stronger women than I. I think dress #15 should go – it is a bit ‘middle-ageish’! But every dress does look pretty good on you.

Shannon Author 5 April, 2013, 17:10

There’s just something I Love Lucy-ish about #15. And not in a good way.

4. Wendy
    Wendy 5 April, 2013, 15:50

#16. Nobody needs a dress that makes them feel middle-aged.

5. Donna
    Donna 6 April, 2013, 12:18

Out of this group I would nominate 16 and 20 for donation. 20 is kind of taking focus away from your figure and chopping it up in my view. If you have a great figure, you shouldn’t lose focus of it. My faves out of this group are 18 (agree with you there) and 21. I haven’t counted my dresses but I did a mental list and at least one thing I can say is that I have a good *diversity* of dresses. One thing I ask myself before buying is do I have anything really similar or not. If so, and it is wearing out, the new item can be a replacement. If the original is in good condition, then I don’t need the new item. I am a mindless shopper in some other ways though.

6. Elizabeth B
    Elizabeth B 7 April, 2013, 07:01

16. You need to dump 16. It looks…frumpy.

7. Kyra
    Kyra 7 April, 2013, 09:33

I think you may have swayed the votes with your comments, sneaky girl. I was thinking 20 the first time I went through, then switched to 16 when I read your comments.

Haha, I shall ignore your subliminal message – I am voting for dress 20. Now you have to keep 16. You can always put it on again when you are 58 and wish you were middle-aged.

I agree that 21 is the grooviest.

8. Dorothy
    Dorothy 7 April, 2013, 18:13

Can I choose three? 15 (not a flattering color for you) and 16 (frumpy, sorry) and 20 (too young?). Otherwise, I am jealous of all your cute dresses!

9. Bett
    Bett 11 April, 2013, 09:43

Yup definitely 16. Love the others on you! Now will you help me go through my closet?? (Love this concept…on-line sis-tah assisted decluttering)

10. Ande Lyons
    Ande Lyons 11 April, 2013, 09:45

Say adios and bon voyage to 19 or 20… 😀

I will be using Sherd from now on … b/c yes, I make words up all the time – thank you!

MUAH!

@AndeLyons

11. VetteGyrl
    VetteGyrl 11 April, 2013, 10:04

#8 and I am not a fan of #6. But I LOVE #3!!

12. Jamie@SouthMainMuse
    Jamie@SouthMainMuse 11 April, 2013, 11:33

I’d have to say #15 or #16 to go. I love 20 or the blue/green one that has the Moroccan cut out going on. They are all really great actually.

13. Sib
    Sib 12 April, 2013, 00:46

I’d say dress 5 or 6 has to go. The hippie one is acutally great. Love your posts. The one about the unicorn cat made me laugh so hard, I almost p… in my p…. 😉
    Greetings from Berlin, Germany, Sib

14. Chandra - NowThisLife.com
    Chandra - NowThisLife.com 12 April, 2013, 22:45

I vote number 16. Almost all of your dresses are adorable and look great on you. Lucky you! Also, loved hearing you on Talk of The Nation. Terrific show and gave me some important insight on what I’ve missed in talks with my almost eleven year old daughter. Thank you for your honesty and bravery.

Shannon Author 13 April, 2013, 19:58

Thanks Chandra — I love NPR and was thrilled to have a chance to participate there.

15. Donna
    Donna 14 April, 2013, 13:31

22-28 is a good group of dresses. There are some in the earlier groups I would get rid of before any of 22-28. In my opinion #28 is a must-keep. Very flattering.