Download Shannon's story, "Beautiful Boy, Brandon Lee," in its full length, excerpted from her book, Smash, Crash & Burn.

Panicking while discussing my Nudes on the Fox 11 News

Last night on the Fox 11 News I had a Cindy Brady brain freeze where I just stared helplessly at Phil Shuman and Susan Hirasuna while my brain screamed, “You’re screwing up your first TV interview. You suck. Die, you idiot, diiiiieeeeee!” Fortunately they’d cut to one of my…yes, that word again…nudes so no one could see my paralyzed face en-morgued with mortification.

I’m sure you’ve already seen my interview because we had very little competition last night…just the FREAKING OSCARS!

But if you missed me and aren’t quite sick of this topic yet, here I am below in all of my yackety yackety. Forgive the wobbling camera, I shot this with my iphone off my DVR. Will try to replace later with a clip from Fox 11 that won’t make viewers motion sick.

If you’re curious the story began here… Am I Really Fat?

Continued here… Walk the Walk, Naked Lady

And finished here… My Final Nude Salvo

1. Christina Simon
    Christina Simon 27 February, 2012, 13:12

You are brave and bold for doing this. Bravo! I could never, ever do it. I have garden variety body issues as you say. Ugh! Great interview!

2. Sarah Auerswald
    Sarah Auerswald 27 February, 2012, 14:19

Shannon I am so excited for you!! You are great on camera, lady!! Congrats on all the coverage!

3. Melissa
    Melissa 27 February, 2012, 14:36

Shannon,
    I adore you!! You say out loud what so many of us are thinking! Keep it up!! This was a fantastic piece and btw, you look good on TV!! xo

Shannon Author 27 February, 2012, 15:42

Hi Melissa — thank you so much!! I was very nervous and froze at one point. But at least I didn’t get cotton mouth like I got when I ran into an old boyfriend last month.

4. Amelia
    Amelia 27 February, 2012, 15:31

This is so awesome, Shannon. You were definitely made for the spotlight!

5. Jamie
    Jamie 27 February, 2012, 16:38

OHHHH I am so proud of you! I am beaming like a proud mother hen!

“Our producer Phil wants to go back to the pictures”
    I bet he does. Did he ask for your number on the way out? *wiggles eyebrows*

6. The Animated Woman
    The Animated Woman 27 February, 2012, 17:47

I loved it. Good point about the impossible scrutiny media places on celebrities…and women in general.

7. Adrienne
    Adrienne 27 February, 2012, 17:54

You are amazing! Great segment!

8. Shelby Barone
    Shelby Barone 27 February, 2012, 19:49

You did great!

9. Jill Johnson
    Jill Johnson 27 February, 2012, 20:22

You did great, Shannon! Love the whole story and interview! Awesome!!!!

10. natalie
    natalie 27 February, 2012, 20:35

AMAZING!!! so incredible!! and BOLD of you to take this one!!!

11. Robin Burkholz Shahm
    Robin Burkholz Shahm 27 February, 2012, 21:17

What a wonderful idea! Women are constantly agonizing over their body image, but are often afraid to talk about it openly with others. This is such a fantastic way to help women appreciate their bodies, even if they have a few extra wrinkles and pounds. Bravo Shannon!

12. Vanessa
    Vanessa 28 February, 2012, 01:22

how great of you to do this. you’re my new hero!

13. Deborah Stambler
    Deborah Stambler 28 February, 2012, 12:25

You’re great. You should be interviewing people on camera. You’ve got a good presence. You turned it into more of a conversation. I could tell the woman announcer wanted to just sit and dish about all the body image stuff. I bet the interview resonated for a lot of women. Fantastic! (If you did pee a little, I couldn’t tell.)

14. GiltMom
    GiltMom 28 February, 2012, 13:31

The photos are gorgeous and the message you are sending to women (especially mom’s) is fantastic.

@giltmom

15. Caryn B
    Caryn B 28 February, 2012, 18:26

What a great interview. So happy you spoke about this on TV….

16. TheCheekyKea
    TheCheekyKea 4 March, 2012, 11:38

Great interview! Loved it, so true.

Shannon Author 4 March, 2012, 16:18

Thanks so much! I still wish that Susan Hirasuna had let me sit in her lighting. Where was her neck wattle? WHERE!!!!???

17. sonora
    sonora 5 March, 2012, 11:23

You were very eloquent! Don’t be hard on yourself. They must have thought you did a great job or they would have cut the interview short. I have a family member with body dysmorphic disorder, and in her case it goes beyond being critical of herself: She truly believes she is too fat (or flabby or whatever) even though she has a great figure, works out and is strong, and weighs less than I do, even though I’m a couple of inches taller. I’ve had to show her that I don’t fit into clothes that she does in order to prove that she isn’t fatter than I am. She is not anorexic, by the way; she looks like she’s a perfectly ideal weight. She knows she has a distorted image of her body but can’t really help herself. Maybe I should have her take some nude photos!

Shannon Author 5 March, 2012, 14:09

I think all women should have nude photos taken. Best if the photographer is really good though.

18. lauren
    lauren 5 March, 2012, 13:22

Great job Shannon! You were so poised! (not that I’m surprised!) xo

Shannon Author 5 March, 2012, 14:10

Thanks so much. I did freeze up once, eyes bulging and everything, but fortunately wasn’t on camera at that moment.

19. kian LEYON
    kian LEYON 6 March, 2012, 08:01

You look great interview. You looked great and if there was a brain freeze, you were the only one who knew.

Shannon Author 6 March, 2012, 08:50

Thanks Kian. My brain freeze happened when they had one of my nudes up. I had a brief “Is that really my fanny on network tv?”

20. Alexandra
    Alexandra 7 March, 2012, 12:40

Great interview – you didn’t “um” or “uh” at all! As for commentary on the subject – how about this? http://netisbeautiful.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/men-women-see-themself-differently.jpg

Shannon Author 7 March, 2012, 17:29

Alexandra I’m laughing my ass off (unfortunately not literally). I love that cartoon!

21. Kelly McMahon
    Kelly McMahon 7 March, 2012, 18:35

You were great on TV, Shan!