The Photo That’s NOT on the Huffington Post aka Healing Body Image Issues

“The Photo That’s NOT on the Huffington Post aka Healing Body Image Issues.”

Okay. I posted one of my 46-year old nudes on Huffington Post HERE. I’m up to over 5oo comments on Huffington Post which means a lot of people are looking and reading and I didn’t link back to my own site. WTHWIT?? (What the hell was I thinking?!)

I’m getting my first hate mail which is very flattering.  I guess if someone’s hating you they know you exist.

Late addition: Just got the loveliest comment on the HuffPo article. I have to publish it here because the writing and sentiment are so beautiful:

“I have often considered it a trifle foolish the way that shallow youth is considered inherently beautiful. There is such a terrible beauty which only age brings, a depth of power that only deepens the sense of mystery that utterly, completely­, captivates­.”

I can’t help myself – here’s a juxtaposition of a 26 and 46-year old nude that’s NOT on HuffPo:

nude woman,

1992 copyright Helmut Lipschitz

nude woman

2012 Photo copyright Rob Greer

How do you manage your body image issues? Also, here is the first subject in my series, “Love Your Body Now”: Healing Body Image Issues Through Fine Art Nudes (Beth)

Body image issuesMy TushThe Huffington Post

1. Elizabeth
    Elizabeth 17 February, 2012, 13:53

OMG Woman, you look gorgeous! I saw the Huff Post articles too and really appreciated what you said and how you said it.

Now I have to go find the haters and hate them back.

2. Shelby Barone
    Shelby Barone 17 February, 2012, 14:07

Amazing! So happy for you!

3. Deborah Stambler
    Deborah Stambler 17 February, 2012, 14:17

So proud to know you. I am also going in to do battle! Haters and crackpots–Beware!

4. Sally
    Sally 17 February, 2012, 15:03

Good for you! You look beautiful – just like a real woman and not a photo shopped fantasy. I am 58 and when I see picture of myself at 25, I am floored at how strikingly beautiful I was. Why didn’t anyone tell me? Now, I’m fat but I see my own beauty. I’m pretty sure that when I look back 20 years from now, I will appreciate myself even more.

Love you and love your body and be thankful for all it can do.

5. Julie Ordonez
    Julie Ordonez 17 February, 2012, 15:21

Again, gorgeous. And brave!!

6. Desiree Eaglin
    Desiree Eaglin 17 February, 2012, 16:32

I adore that you re did your pictures.

7. martina
    martina 17 February, 2012, 16:38

I read your article on the Daily Mail website (UK) and i just wanted to say thank you for highlighting an issue that goes unnoticed! I am 31yrs old and spent most of my twenties believing i was fat and that my hips were hideous! I weighed 120lbs and had a figured men loved but i was too absorbed in my insecurities to notice. I fell ill two yrs ago and gained a lot of weight but funnily enough it liberated me! I am now back down to 135lbs but i no longer sweat the small stuff! I have good health and a good life. Thank you for reminding me how far i’ve come. xx

Shannon Author 17 February, 2012, 17:25

Good for you! I am always telling my friends that they have a good 10-25 lb range of looking good. Roam it sisters!

8. Caryn B
    Caryn B 17 February, 2012, 16:55

I love the new photos….I WISH my body looked that way and I’m only 30 something : )

Shannon Author 17 February, 2012, 17:26

Caryn — there were some angles during this photo shoot that would make your feel great about the way your body looks. I am only posting the good ones. (selfish wench that I am)

9. Jamie
    Jamie 17 February, 2012, 19:01

Gorgeous!! I knew you were still hot stuff.

It did make my giggle that the two photos are in the identical pose, but the recent photo is halfway blacked out! LOL

You could totally rock that pose today in ugly mall lighting, FYI.

Gavin Degraw is going to read this blog, see you have the hots for him, find your recent nudes, and then you husband better get his shotgun

Shannon Author 17 February, 2012, 23:31

Hi honey — Yes I know the photographer left out my bottom. What’s that all about? Was my bottom heading south of the border? Did he see something that shouldn’t have been showing? Maybe I don’t want to think about this too much. Hmmm. As for Gavin… sigh… I better just let that thought go.

10. natalie
    natalie 17 February, 2012, 19:36

Good for you! YEP hate mail means you made it! keeping it real!

Shannon Author 17 February, 2012, 23:33

Thanks Natalie — I could never go into politics. Too easily bruised.

11. Leila
    Leila 18 February, 2012, 01:56

Hi Shannon,

I came across an article on you in the DailyMail.co.uk and I found my way to your site. I have to agree…as a woman who just entered my forties…I totally agree with you! We all get really shocked at how different our bodies are after 2 decades and how incredibly lovely we were in our 20’s but alas, most women are so wrapped up in our own insecurities that we forget to “enjoy the present”. A good older friend of mine who has 6 sisters gave me great advice a couple of years back…she said her sister told her to “enjoy your body, love it…because next year, it will be worse!” LOL

So…hats off to you! Love what you did :-))

Love & Light to you x

Shannon Author 18 February, 2012, 12:57

Hi Leila — so glad you found me here. I so agree with your older friend. We only get each age once. We have to embrace it!

12. badddboyy12
    badddboyy12 18 February, 2012, 06:15

Id still hit that! Hot MILF, wife dominatrix, huh? Please dish!

13. Yvonne Condes
    Yvonne Condes 18 February, 2012, 16:25

Your pictures are amazing and so are you! I so admire your courage to get nudes done at any age. A semi well known photographer asked if I would pose for him when I was 21, but I didn’t do it because I thought I was too fat (that and I was worried he was a crazy perv)!

Shannon Author 18 February, 2012, 21:35

Yvonne — it’s never too late! You can still do it. I took my mom with me on the last shoot, but I didn’t have to worry. Ansel was not lured by my feminine wiles. I think I caught him yawning once or twice.

14. Lisa
    Lisa 25 February, 2012, 09:54

Hi, I read all your posts, but I never comment, I’m sorry about that, I know bloggers hate that. I remember you said something about thinking you were fat when you were 26. YOUR RIBS ARE SHOWING. I have always been curvy, even when I was 26 and a size 5 at 127 pounds (roughly half of what I weigh now at 44…) and my ribs NEVER showed. Honey, you were SKINNY. And you still kind of are. I know “slender” (read SKINNY) girls hate it when we chubsters say that, but when my 125 pound coworker says she needs to lose 5 pounds around her middle (she won’t tell her age, but she looks mid to late 50s because she is so thin and naturally blonde, however she has a 6 yr old and a 9 yr old so that can’t be possible, but I digress), I can’t help but want to smack her. I am 5’3 and 250 pounds and I wear a size 18. Should I lose weight, probably, but the only medical issue I have is low thyroid. I’m not even diabetic. I can’t help thinking maybe I’m supposed to look like this. You are skinny. I am fat. I think that’s the way we are supposed to look.

Shannon Author 25 February, 2012, 18:41

Hi Lisa — thank you for commenting. We bloggers do love that. We’re always hoping we’re connecting when we send our words out there. First I want to say that YES I was skinny. So skinny. But I had a very distorted picture of myself. I had a boyfriend tell me I had cellulite in my thighs and that began my life of not seeing myself the way I actually was. Guess what? I’m still doing it. When I got the latest nudes back my first reaction to them was very negative. It took several days before I could see them the way other people saw them. Which was that I looked like a healthy, fit 46-year old woman. Strangely enough taking the nudes — both times — was ultimately so good for me. I stopped seeing myself through “bank camera” eyes. I have friends I want to smack when they tell me they need to lose weight, and I know there are people who want to smack me for saying the same about myself. I really do get it. This self-love business ain’t for sissies. I hope you’ll comment again sometime. xo